PhatPhish is a musical scale calculator for guitarists.
Using PhatPhish you see where to find notes on a guitar neck for pretty much any scale you'll ever find yourself wanting to
play. There are some neat features, such as:
- Comprehensive database of scales, split into categories
- Highlight specific notes from the scale
- Annotate the notes from the scale
- Support for any alternative tuning of your choice
- User-configurable display options, including 12 or 24 fret neck
- Playback options so you can hear what a scale sounds like, including interactive 'plectrum mode'
- 'Pattern Builder' allows you to build your own patterns from a scale
It is distributed as Shareware for the Microsoft Windows operating system. It has no special
hardware requirements - if your PC can run Windows then it should be happy enough running PhatPhish. However, if you want to
get the most out of the audio side of it, then a good soundcard will be a bonus.
Curently, PhatPhish is available for the Windows platform only. However, for non-Windows users there is
Project:GUPPY which provides you a cut-down set of functionality,
available through a web browser. This works from any web-enabled device, including Mac, iPhone/iPad, Android, BlackBerry and Symbian.